Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The two social media platforms that I would use for communication purposes with my parents, local/national political representatives, and my community are Twitter and Facebook.  

Image result for social images
Education World (2016) suggests using Blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and Virtual Pinboards (Pinterest).  Education World advises that Twitter and Facebook can be used to "post reminders, post news of the day, and to share photos and information with parents," (paragraph 20).

Although Blogging and platforms like Pinterest are also among my favorites, I believe that Twitter reaches a broader audience.  On the other hand, Facebook reaches a variety of people and their friends. The age groups of those who use Facebook for a social outlet also varies.  Many 'young' parents have experience with both Twitter and Facebook.  Both platforms are ideal for contacting local, state, and national representatives on educational issues.  In addition, live videos can be posted on both Twitter and Facebook, thus providing me with creative ways to make funding for my Head Start Policy Change accessible.

Image result for social imagesOur school has a Facebook community for all staff and colleagues.  Likewise, our county keep teachers up-to-date and informed with the help of Twitter.  For example, each Sunday evening, teachers respond to topics related to special events or political issues which are taking place in our county. At a recent Parent Teacher Association (PTA) event in Athens Georgia, many of the attendees were able to respond and/or converse via Twitter to our speaker, Kim Bearden, Co-founder of the Ron Clark Academy, (YouTube, 2016).



Reference:

Education World . (2016). Retrieved from Parent Communication: Using Social Media: http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/stenhouse/classroom-communication-social-media-tips.shtml


YouTube. (2016). Retrieved from Kim Bearden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0DZkh_L99A

4 comments:

  1. Tina,

    I agree Facebook and Twitter seem to reach broader audiences. I think the ability to re-post items to share with contacts is a definite advantage to sharing pertinent information about early childhood issues.
    I found it interesting that your school uses Twitter as a networking site for teachers. In my experience, with the profiles being so public, I have not encountered a district where public social media sites were used to share information. I have seen private social networking sites used to help keep teachers informed. Has the experience in your district been fully positive with teacher accounts on Twitter?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie Marley, Thank you very kindly for responding to my blog post.

    Here is an example of what I am talking about. It is possible that my choice of words may have mislead you. However, after scrolling on the twitter page, I still see recaps of events involving teachers, students, schools, etc.

    https://twitter.com/cobbschools

    Reference:
    Twitter. (n.d.). Cobb County Schools. Retrieved from https://twitter.com/cobbschools

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tina, I find your district's use of social media very interesting. Although I do not subscribe to Facebook or Twitter myself, their popularity with people of all ages cannot be denied. My district uses a social media platform as part of Office 365 called Yammer (MCSD, 2016), but it is only available to district employees, not the general public. I am amazed every day by the fact that social media users are getting younger and younger. All of the students at my middle school are on the web. We have an opportunity to introduce them to social awareness at an early age and use the powers of the internet for good and not evil! The media platforms you have chosen to share your policy issues are good ones; Twitter and Facebook are definitely ways to increase awareness and opportunities to engage in dialogue.
    Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi G. Bryant,
    Thanks for your comments and your inspiration. Most of all, thanks for responding to my blog.

    You mentioned Office 365 in your reply. Our district also uses 365 for announcements, scheduling media center lessons/book check outs, and reserving laptop carts. We also use 365 for data team purposes and storing information related to our grade levels. Parents and students also have access to Office 365, but I have not given it a try. I would love to see just how creative my students can be using technology. Please share any tips you may have about how to get started. Our tech people are always tied up with repairs. Most of the senior teachers could care less about technology. However, I am willing to learn more about technology/Office 365 if it benefits my children.

    ReplyDelete